[Foundation-l] EN discussing removing/replacing the banner

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 01:38:46 UTC 2007

Unfortunately, in the time it took you to write this message, the notice has
already been altered.  Brion removed the scrolling and addressed other
concerns, it is likely that the banner may change further in the coming days
so please organize any of your comments on the feedback/question page: <
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising_2007>.

Although I know you didn't intend to sound rude, this was not the place to
say "EN is discussing replacing it".  EN could not and would not be allowed
to replace it, the ultimate decision rests with the Wikimedia Foundation and
its staff/board.  However, the Foundation is, as you can see, concerned
about how its users feel about such things and have altered the banner per
their request.  (Many expressed that they could live with it if the
scrolling was removed and it was.)

Thank you for keeping us informed.

On 10/22/07, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nearly everyone who has commented on-wiki thinks the current fundraising
> banner is especially awful and EN is discussing replacing it.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Common.css#Inane_Sitenotice
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard#Switch_off_the_stupid_fundraising_scrolling_marquee
>
> At the risk of being rude, it would have been much better if the
> Foundation
> had provided an open invitation for design feedback from the major wiki
> communities before foisting this across every page.
>
> -Robert Rohde

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---