[Foundation-l] Priorities

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 17:50:39 UTC 2007

--- Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Brian McNeil wrote:
> > Florence Devouard wrote:
> >
> >> ... I felt I could not say publicly that
> Wikipedia was one
> >> of the tools to bring peace on Earth because I
> also know working on our
> >> projects (not only Wikipedia) is somehow becoming
> increasingly
> >> difficult. We are more numerous, more protective
> to our
> >> featured-content, less welcoming to our newbies
> (for technical or social
> >> reasons).
> >> How many experts have been driven away by the
> agressivity of some of our
> >> members ? How many new editors just were
> discouraged by the difficulty
> >> of editing a table or a template ? How many
> newbies were blocked because
> >> they just did not understood quickly enough how
> to use a talk page ?
> >> Also, during the year, several cases of online or
> offline harassment of
> >> contributors were reported. Harassement which
> came as a result of their
> >> contributions to our projects.
> >
> > In trying to do my bit for fundraising I emailed
> Howard Tayler, a webcomic
> > artist asking could he help with my nonexistent
> drawing skills and make up
> > an ad for his site that I'd pay for during part of
> the WMF fundraiser.
> >
> > As an indication that there is indisputably a
> problem that needs addressed,
> > here is the response I got.

> > I use Wikipedia from time to time, and appreciate
> its value to the growing
> > internet community, and to the world at large.
> >
> > I will not, however, help them raise money. I am
> strongly opposed to the
> > "anti-webcomics" agenda that has been espoused by
> a number of prominent
> > editors. If the foundation really cared about what
> these editors write, and
> > how they treat other people, it would take steps
> to curb their behavior.
> >
> > This, unfortunately, is a very non-negotiable
> position on my part, and I'd
> > prefer to not argue about it. We'd just be wasting
> each others' time.
> >
> > I appreciate your attempt to raise money for a
> cause you believe in, and am
> > flattered that you'd think of me in connection to
> it.
> >
> > --Howard

> > This issue isn't just costing us contributors;
> we're losing goodwill and
> > fundraising opportunities.
> >

> > Brian.
>
> Right....
>
> What is that anti-webcomics" agenda he is talking
> about ?
>
> Ant

This is an en.WP issue (again). Articles on web-comics
have been deleted as not notable on en.WP. [1]  It
might be useful to share with Howard what the actual
mission of Wiki*media* is and how it works, just for
the sake of clarity.  But I can't imagine anyone would
really support WMF writing and enforcing new deletion
guidelines for en.WP or anything else that would truly
appease him.

Birgitte SB

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Webcomics/Archive_5#Non-noteworthy_webcomics