[Foundation-l] YouPorn in Germany: Another ugly legal case

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 22 17:12:52 UTC 2007

Arcor, a major German ISP, is being forced to censor access to
YouPorn.com because it doesn't comply with German requirements for
restricting access to adult-only websites:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/97676

The Landgericht Frankfurt has confirmed a preliminary injunction. This
will still go through the courts for a while, but Arcor has already
censored the website from its customers (and, in the first attempt to
do so, also censored 3.5 million other random sites that were
redirected from the same IP address!).

This could become a pretty terrible precedent turning the German
Internet into even more of a legal minefield than it already is. :-(
At some point we may be faced with the choice to either apply a number
of Germany-specific restrictions on our content, or have all Wikimedia
projects be censored in Germany. I'd be inclined towards the latter.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik