[Foundation-l] Implications of IMSLP case

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 02:20:01 UTC 2007

Their C&D letter ( http://imslpforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=615 )
mentions specifically the following artists, and I copied their death
years from Wikipedia:

B Bartok d. 1945
I Friedman d. 1948
J Marx d. 1964
A Schonberg d. 1951
R Strauss d. 1949
A von Zemlinski d. 1942

G Mahler d. 1911
L Janacek d. 1928
A Berg d. 1935
O Respighi d. 1936
K Szymanowski d. 1937 (well, in a few months)

So it seems we should have no problem to host around half of these works.

The letter says, "As you are aware, [Europe has copyright author death
+70, Canada has author death + 50]. Certain of these composers' works
are further protected in Canada or the United States under the
appropriate /Copyright Act/ of these jurisdictions."

Further protected, what are they talking about? Any ideas?

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/