[Foundation-l] Google Analytics on Wikimania site

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:17:02 UTC 2007

I think you could very easily construe the foundation's knowledge and
awareness of any google analytics code on the website as being either
tacit acceptance (or inaction), or as being actually part of the
software of the site (making it the foundation's use of the analytics
program). You could probably argue that analytics and tracking code,
as a user contribution, becomes the content of Wikipedia as an entity.

In any event it violates the spirit of our policy (we do not allow
users to display potentially identifiable information of others, so
why would we allow them to install analytics?). It's not something we
really want to test, don't you think?

-Dan