[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Oct 17 23:14:58 UTC 2007

Mark Ryan wrote:
> On 10/10/2007, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>> In honor of David's concerns, I have decided to make the title of my own
>> talk at Wikimania 2008 "Free knowledge and human rights" and I will use
>> this opportunity to speak out against censorship and other violations of
>> human rights around the world, including examples from Egypt.
>>
>> --Jimbo
>
> I'm not sure that's wise, Jimbo, unless you've already checked with
> the Egyptian authorities and gotten their approval for it. Egypt have
> apparently this year arrested quite a few journalists in Egypt
> investigating stories about violations of human rights in Egypt. For
> your own personal safety, I suggest you don't do this.

I honestly doubt the Egyptian authorities are that dumb. :)

Being named one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people in the
world was somewhat silly... obviously I am no such thing.  But it does
provide a certain immunity against random arrest that non-famous local
bloggers unfortunately do not enjoy.

--Jimbo