[Foundation-l] Copyright issues and how we handle them

Brad Patrick bradp.wmf at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 21:02:59 UTC 2007

First things first - NOBODY speaks for the Foundation on legal issues except
its counsel, Mike Godwin.  Mike is constrained in his ability to offer
opinions except to his client, WMF.  Mike is not the person who answers
copyright questions presented by the community; however, he is in a position
to address issues which can lead to potential legal problems for the
Foundation itself.  This situation may or may not have a legal answer
satisfactory to you or anyone else, and it may or may not lead WMF to
conclude something or nothing must be done.

As a community matter, however, your point is alarming - people are seeking
to speak on behalf of WMF when they (clearly) are not empowered to do so,
and seek to carve out their position based on proximity to the aura of
Jimbo.  That *does* need to be addressed.

Thanks, Birgitte!

-Brad