[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Commons reaches 2 million files

Bryan Tong Minh bryan.tongminh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 12:11:05 UTC 2007

On 10/16/07, Bryan Tong Minh <bryan.tongminh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Samuel Klein <sj at laptop.org> wrote:
> > > By #users we are the 8th largest project.
> > > By #edits we are the 9th largest project.
> > and by # of languages on one wiki, the largest by far...
> >
> I think that we are one of the largest multilingual projects on the
> Internet, which is great.
>
> Bryan

I did some calculations, based on data in Wikipedia, and our
administrators speak the mother language of about 3.2 billion people.
This means that at least half of the world's population can make
themselves understandable in their mother language to one of our
administrators. This calculation only includes native languages. If we
would also count the people that speak some foreign languages
fluently, I estimate that this number of people is 4-5 billion.

This only concerns administrators. The number of languages in which
the main page is available is far greater.