[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 17:37:18 UTC 2007

on 10/14/07 12:06 PM, Thomas Dalton at thomas.dalton at gmail.com wrote:

> On 14/10/2007, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "each and every" does not necessarily mean individually, it just means that
>> each one has been attacked in some way, whether grouped as the whole jury or
>> grouped as some other subset of the jury.  I will not point out individual
>> posts out of respect for the people who wrote them and the people about whom
>> they were written.
>
> "Each" means individually, "all" means as a group. You can attack a
> group as a whole without attacking the individuals. Saying you think
> the jury made a bad decision means you think the majority of them have
> done something wrong, it does not mean you think each of them has done
> something wrong.

Perspective, people, perspective. A public group (committee) made a public
decision. There are those who disapprove of that decision and are
criticizing it. In the process the people who made that decision are getting
swept up in the criticism. On a much larger scale, a public group
(committee) makes a decision to hold Olympic games in a certain city. There
are those who disapprove of that decision and criticize it. In the process
the people who made that decision get swept up in the criticism.

Are we so thin-skinned, that we take personal offense when criticized about
decisions we make that have nothing to do with us personally?

In a public role, it goes with the territory.

And, to characterize "criticism" as "attack", shows there's an axe grinding
away somewhere.

Marc Riddell