[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Oct 14 08:11:08 UTC 2007

Dmcdevit wrote:
> Marc Riddell wrote:
>
>> So it's not strictly flowing
>> exactly from the original topic, so what! It's conversation. Now the
>> suggestion is to actually moderate (punish) the participants. My question is
>> simple: How on earth is this conversation harming this List or anyone
>> reading it?
>>
> Foundation-l is not an amateur debate club. I don't give a whit about
> your pontifications on sexuality, religion, and politics, and neither
> does my inbox. Frankly, I have no idea what you Thomas, Ray, Anthony and
> others think you are accomplishing, but I am very frustrated that
> repeated attempts to suggest some level of relevant discussion are
> simply dismissed with a "it's not harmful" response. It may not be
> harmful to whatever your purposes are, but it is extremely
> counterproductive to the list's, and Wikimania. Whether or not I agree
> with it, I was happy to see Mark Ryan's on-topic post, moving us towards
> what the line of discussion already should have been: if and how we can
> improve the bid selection process in the future. Unfortunately, it's
> being drowned out by your droning on the nature of homosexuality,
> learning and choosing religion, Jewishness, and other stuff that is
> better left to your private musings and personal emails.
>
> If your response to this email is a similar dismissal and continued
> off-topic philosophizing, I welcome moderation.
Lighten up!

Threads that wander off topic eventually die out anyway.  Allowing them
to die out naturally is a great stress reliever.  If you really don't
want to read them you should have no difficulty finding the delete
button on your keyboard.  That would be preferable to a lot of drama
about counterproductivity.  As to "what you ... think you are
accomplishing", have yoe even considered the possibility that maybe we
aren't trying to accomplish anything?  Or maybe we are just trying to
understand better how each other thinks.

Ec