[Foundation-l] Wikimania and visas

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 19:35:04 UTC 2007

Hi everyone.

I am working on documentation for Wikimania, and I'm trying to compile
better statistics for people who have tried and haven't been able to attend
because they were turned down for or were otherwise unable to get a visa to
the country where the conference was held.

Theodoranian summarized the situation for Taipei pretty well in a previous
mail. For Boston, I'm still going through emails and records but my memory
is that 2 speakers from Brazil couldn't get visas in time, 1 wikimedian from
India was explicitly rejected, and I know there were others as well.

So please help me out, fellow organizers and attendees -- if you remember
what happened for 2005, 2006 or 2007 or you attempted to get a visa to come
to a Wikimania and couldn't, let me know off list.

thanks!
-- phoebe