[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Jason Safoutin jason.safoutin at wikinewsie.org
Sat Oct 13 08:23:16 UTC 2007

foundation-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org wrote:
> David, thanks for opening this discussion; it's an important and necessary one.
>
> I was not on the Wikimania jury, but I endorse its decision.
>
> To me, WMF is first and foremost about spreading knowledge, across
> boundaries of language & culture. This means we should not isolate
> countries that violate human rights through reactionary policies. We
> need to engage them on a higher level, and confront them with the open
> & diverse culture of sharing that we are building.

They are not willing to build a diverse culture which included
homosexuals. So far I see nothing open and diverse about their
government or the way they treat homosexuals and women. If they wanted
us there, then they would welcome us and they do not welcome
homosexuals. Its not about policy. Its about whether or not a group is
being singled out.
> I understand that this means that many LGBT people may not wish to
> attend Wikimania 2008 for reasons of personal safety or principles. I
> hope some of them will change their mind, as we need courageous voices
> to influence those who can be influenced.

Wikimania is not a conference to use for political objectives. We are
not politicians or lawmakers. If you want to influence people who wish
NOT to be influenced, do it on your own time. Its not "personal safety"
of just homosexuals, but EVERYONE. This is a conference, not an election.
> I have always been supportive of Wikimedia taking an official stance
> against censorship in particular. Knowledge cannot flow across
> boundaries where there are gatekeepers who wish to control it. It is
> my belief that education, including education about different
> lifestyles, is absolutely critical for social progress anywhere,
> including Egypt. This is what Wikimedia, as an international charity,
> is all about.

Charity is for those who want it and who welcome it. We are not one to
make their censorship decisions. Again, take the political motive
somewhere else. We can educate and teach others about their culture
without putting individuals in harms way. And we don't donate
anything...they donate to us.
> If we truly are the "Red Cross of Knowledge", as Jimmy once called it,
> then we need to be everywhere, and primarily challenge policies when
> they stop us from doing what we do: giving people free access to
> education. This, not simply globe-hopping, is my motivation to support
> this location, the first Wikimania in Africa.

Again. We cannot force our knowledge on a culture that is protective of
their own. They don't have free speech so your continuing claims of
policies has nothing to do with us. They change their policies and
beliefs and culture. Not us. If the "gatekeepers" want to control
it,then that's their right, its their country and we have no right to
force anything upon them. And I as well as from what I read, other
homosexuals are not willing to risk their life to do that. If you want
to talk about non-censorship and what not, then  talk about how this
decision effects a crowd of Wikimedia's most diverse.

Jason Safoutin