[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 13 07:21:36 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
>>> "Conclusions", "experience" & "knowledge": all things which involve
>>> "learning".
>>>
>> on 10/12/07 7:09 PM, Thomas Dalton at thomas.dalton at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> And your point is?
>>
> Thomas,
>
> Original: (by Anthony) Now, let me give an example. Could a non-Christian
> choose to become a fundamentalist Christian?
>
>> Absolutely!
>>
> Your response, "I disagree. You don't choose your beliefs, you conclude
> them. There is a big difference. If I change my beliefs it's not because I
> felt like a change, it's because I have made a different conclusion as to
> how the world is, based on my experience and knowledge." A person would
> choose to become a Christian based on what they learn.
"Conclude" makes the process sound awfully intellectual.  Beliefs are
not the only part of religion.  Some religions do very well without
God.  Religion is after all about binding people together.  In
mainstream fundamentalist communities the church picnic can be just as
important as the preaching.  Cults can use what are effectively torture
techniques to bring the group into compliance, notably isolation.

Ec