[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 12 20:55:01 UTC 2007

on 10/12/07 2:44 PM, Anthony at wikimail at inbox.org wrote:

> First of all let me correct the misquote.

It was not a misquote, Anthony; I took your words exactly as you wrote them.

> What I said was "I don't
> think you can choose your beliefs

And that is what I quoted, and I questioned.

> any more than your taste in sexual
> partners."
>
> Now, let me give an example.  Could a non-Christian choose to become a
> fundamentalist Christian?

Absolutely!

> I'd say it's maybe possible, but extremely
> unlikely.

"I don't think you can choose" is not the same as "unlikely".

> I think it's about as possible for someone to change their
> taste in sexual partners.  Maybe it could be done, but it's extremely
> unlikely.

Apples and oranges here, Anthony.

Beliefs are a result of learning; what is learned can just as readily be
unlearned.

> Of course, I'm thinking adults here in both situations.

If you are taught as a child that you are "useless", this will be a major
part of your self-concepts, your "beliefs", about yourself until you are
taught or self-discover otherwise. This is one of the fundamentals of
individual psychology.

Marc

--
Just be.