[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

rfrangi at libero.it rfrangi at libero.it
Fri Oct 12 15:08:37 UTC 2007

Gatto, I'm not replying directly to you. I'm just asking quetions.

So being L or G or B or T is not the only problem. And Egypt is not the only problem.

You can be black or white, male or female, communist or fascist, islamic, jewish or catholic.

Depending on who and on where you are, you might find yourself in a situation that might be anywhere from harmless from harmfull.

So, no matter which place on Earth you choose someone will criticize that choice.

Now we have to understand what is the purpose of Wikimedia. If Wikimania is a huge party that anyone can attend, because WMF picks carefully its location making sure that human rights are respected, well we can just stop thinking about a Wikimania.

If Wikimania is an occasion to spread the concept of "free knowledge" all over the world, the story is completely different.

I believe that at this point, the purpose of Wikimania is something more than just a party, and since I won't leave any doubt about it, let me state clearly that WMF should go to certain places even if LGBT people (or whoever) are not allowed. I just don't care, like Wikipedia, Wikimania is not mandatory. Wait for 2009, maybe they will pick a place that is more tollerant.

Should Wikimania be held in the PRK? Yes!
Should Wikimania be held in the PRC? Yes!
In Myanmar? In Congo? In the USA? Yes! Yes! Yes!

The point is not that "all of us should be able to go to <fill with country of your choice>". The point is that "some of us have to go to <fill with country of your choice>".

And if some of us go to Egypt, and some go to Switzerland, Zimbabwe, Tonga or whatever, maybe one day we will be able to safely go everywhere, regardless of who we are. Instead of remaining at home complaining.

Roberto (Snowdog)