[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen inAlexandria, Egypt

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Fri Oct 12 08:49:35 UTC 2007

Gatto Nero wrote:

> 2007/10/12, Sue Reed <sreed1234 at yahoo.com>:

>> Either way, is there any point discussing it any further?
>
>Personally - and I underline "personally" - the problem is not the
>choose of Alexandria as the venue of Wikimania.
>The problem is what I read here in response of GLBT community's
>complaining. Some phrases are just a bit homophobic. Things like:
>* Don't be too gay and you'll be safe
>* Don't be gay and you'll be safe

The actual way I've interpreted most comments (and I emphasise most, not
all) of this nature has been "don't overtly display your sexuality". This
applied to gay, bi, *and* heterosexuals.

>* Don't take a double room

I don't know if it is as bad as that. Is it a case of the hotel staff will
look at you funny, or would it be worse than that?

>* Ask a doctor to certificate you're ill

I have to agree this is ridiculous. A person's sexuality is not an illness.

>* Don't flaunt your homosexuality

This goes with what I said above; anywhere in the Middle East you don't
openly flaunt any flavour of sexuality.

>* How many who you are? (implied: "You're too few to care about")
>are really gross, and if WMF really thinks things like this, we have a
>huge problem.
>Very huge.

I don't care how many LGBT Wikimedians there are. Pigeonholing ourselves
into special interest groups with an axe to grind is counter-productive.
We're all Wikimedians.

So the 2008 Wikimania caught some flak, and the jury is in hiding from an
angry mob of homosexuals with torches and pitchforks. :-P Move on, factor
the concerns into the 2009 process. Do we have a list of candidates for that
yet? It would be far more productive to move on to critiquing the 2009
candidates than bemoaning an issue with the 2008 choice.

Brian.