[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Thu Oct 11 21:23:35 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But why should Wikimedians have to worry about sharing a double room
> > with their partner at a Wikimania conference?
>
> To avoid offending the locals. We may not agree with their beliefs,
> but to avoid trouble, it's often best just to go along with them. Is
> it really a big enough issue to prevent us going to Egypt?

Well when you're expecting people to pay a lot of money, for something
they don't *need*, where they will have to pretend to be something
they aren't, yes, it might make people less excited about going.

Is it a big enough issue to prevent everyone from going? Certainly
not. But probably some people.