[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 21:20:19 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But why should Wikimedians have to worry about sharing a double room
> > with their partner at a Wikimania conference?
>
> To avoid offending the locals. We may not agree with their beliefs,
> but to avoid trouble, it's often best just to go along with them. Is
> it really a big enough issue to prevent us going to Egypt?

The gay couples I know of who travelled to Egypt as tourists stayed
together without any hassle.

I haven't found any sources recommending staying separately.

Again... if there are legitimate travel warnings, at any level (from
private sources, blogs, magazines, anything) with specifics about
Egypt and LGBT travellers please let's see them.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com