[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Mark Ryan ultrablue at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:40:49 UTC 2007

On 11/10/2007, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> He should say whatever he damn well wants to say.  Making a big fuss
> that prejudges what he is going to say could be more damaging than his
> actually saying it.  That would bring on undue attention.  Getting
> approval from the authorities for a speech against censorship strikes me
> as somewhat antithetical.  I don't know the circumstances of the
> investigative journalists you mention, but there is more to
> investigation than simply giving a speech to a gathering of mostly
> foreigners.  Arresting Jimbo for giving such a speech or out of
> anticipation of such a speech would likely be counterproductive for the
> Egyptian, given the reverberation that would follow in the blogosphere.
>
> Jimbo is a well-seasoned traveller.  I'm sure that he knows how to weigh
> the options for his personal safety..
>
> Ec.

I was only making a suggestion based upon what I have read in relation
to Egypt's actions in relation to this sort of thing. I believe it
would be in bad conscience not to pass on information like that which
comes to my attention. Would you not agree? Or would you keep it to
yourself? I'm confused.

The response to the people complaining about the anti-GLBT atmosphere
in Egypt has been generally "gay people are fine, so long as you don't
flaunt it; this is not a political event, it's a wiki event, so don't
come here with a view to gay rights campaigning and you'll be
alright".

But then along come Florence and Jimbo and tell us that it *is* a
political event, that it was chosen because it can be used to campaign
for human rights in Egypt; that it can bring positive change to the
people of Egypt. Assuming that GLBT rights is included under the broad
heading of "human rights", then where does that leave us? With a
conference that is within that political, activist-zone which
apparently isn't such a safe topic area, according to Human Rights
Watch and the Alexandria Bid Team ("You will be in risk however if you
try to hold a gay rights session").

Make of it all what you will; I just assumed that the logical strategy
now that Wikimania is going to be in Alexandria would be to "shut up
and smile", and not do anything inflammatory during the course of the
conference. The last thing we want is Wikimedians detained or hurt.

~Mark Ryan