[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Ted (Hsiang-Tai) Chien hsiangtai.chien at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 08:10:20 UTC 2007

> From: David Strauss
>
> George Herbert wrote:
> > If you believe Egypt truly is significantly bad for visiting LGBT
> > tourists, there should be ample evidence thereof available.  In spite
> > of my friends' and aquaintences personal ancedotal safe trips, I went
> > looking for some evidence of risk when this thread started.  I have
> > not found anything of the sort.  There's more documented foreign
> > tourist gay bashing in San Francisco (fairly low actual rate, and
> > abhored by the local population as a whole, but there's a persistent
> > low-rate problem from homophobic fringeists) than I can find for
> > Egypt.
>
> If you use official records, there's zero gay bashing in Iran. I wouldn't consider
> Egypt's records on GLBT issues accurate, either.
>
> That's the quandary with record-keeping. The places with the most problems
> often have the worst records. Never mistake bad record keeping with the
> absence of a problem.

When people asking for evidence, you said the evidence might not be accurate so you don't trust them.

Maybe the number is not accurate, but I believe it does represent the situation in Egypt.

I have many friends and colleagues travelled to Egypt for tourism and returned to Taiwan safely. Some of them are LGBT and they all have a good time in Egypt and wish to visit there again (although the travel expense might be a little high). I don't really see there is a problem.