[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 01:54:25 UTC 2007

On 11/10/2007, cohesion <cohesion at sleepyhead.org> wrote:
> I didn't attend in Taipei, were most of the attendees semi-local? I
> had always assumed so. If they weren't then that only highlights
> Greg's concerns regarding exotic locations. If they were, but the
> majority of discussions were about topics that didn't concern them
> that seems weird too.

It was about half-half I believe. (Your statement reads like "damned
if you, damned if you don't." :))

Even if a talk or a topic is a case study of something you're not
involved in, listening to it is the perfect opportunity to learn about
how a different group of people does something, and pick up some new
ideas for ways to do things or things to look out for and avoid.

I guess a clearer way of stating it, since I
> mostly care about enwiki and commons, *to me* the more people from
> those communities that can come the more useful/interesting. :)

To go to Wikimania and only want to learn about things you already
know about seems like a hugely lost opportunity to me.

Seriously, why not try and organise something local or regional?

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/