[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Carlos Thompson chlewey at cable.net.co
Wed Oct 10 22:36:28 UTC 2007

Mark Williamson wrote:

> You may characterize the risk as very small,
> but it is all relative. I have never personally
> been to Colombia, but risk of violence against
> GLBTQ people is larger there than many other
> places. It may be "small" but not insignificant.

Risk target specifically to GLBT people is larger tan many other places, for
example larger than Antarctica.  Well, not sure, I do not have good
statistics on Antarctica.

General risks in Bogotá (to LGBT and non-LGBT people) are a small concern,
indeed, probably not insignificant, but actually no larger than any other
similar sized city in Latin America or the United States.

There is also the risk that a Wikimedian might believe that getting drugs is
cheap and easy and then discover and unpleasant surprise.

Despite the existence of a 40 year old guerrilla groups, political stability
is also larger than other Latin American countries.  But there are these 40
year old guerrilla groups, which is a safety concern.  I might claim that it
is a small concern, as they have never targetted international events held
in Colombia and there are not clues to think they might do an exception with
an event as Wikimania.

An then: Bogotá is earthquake country.  Completely safe from Tsunamis and
Hurricans, though.

Risks exist everywhere.  Some risks are higher in Bogotá than in Denver or
Chicago.  Some are not, but might be biased by perception and anecdotical
evidence.  If the event is held in Bogotá, chances are very high that every
Wikimedia participant from abroad will return home safe and sund regardless
of religion, political views or sexual orientation.  I am pretty sure this
also holds for Alexandria.

-- Carlos Th