[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 22:28:05 UTC 2007

Bogota is not a country.

And forgive my language but you are talking out of your ass!

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

U.S. is clearly #24. Columbia ranks number one, and Bogotá is the
capital of that country. I _personally_ am comfortable living in or
travelling to a country as long as the murder rate is below 0.15/1000
people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homicide_rate

Colombia is #3 (behind Venezuela and South Africa) due to some good
hard work of local police forces since the other data, but US is still
far behind the two.

In fact, if safety were our only concern... per-continent we should
prefer these countries in this order:

(For Asia)
Singapore
UAE
Hong Kong
Qatar
Bahrain
Kuwait

(For Africa)
Morocco
Tunisia
Algeria
Mauritius
Côte d'Ivoire
Namibia

(For N. America)
Bermuda
Canada
Dominica
United States
Costa Rica
Barbados

(For S. America)
Chile
Bolivia
Peru
Uruguay
Argentina
Suriname

&c

Mark

On 10/10/2007, Waerth <waerth at asianet.co.th> wrote:
> Carlos Thompson wrote:
> > Mark Williamson wrote:
> >

> >> I personally object to the decision of the jury and hope the
> >> location is changed and the decision overturned on the following
> >> basis:
> >>
> >> Safety of conference participants, namely transgendered and
> >> transsexual individuals. Lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals
> >> are at a significantly lower level of risk.
> >>
> >> The risk for T. individuals is so great that it would be totally
> >> unsafe for them to enter the country at all.
> >>
> >> This is not a matter of boycotting a country because we disagree
> >> with its politics, this is a matter of not holding a conference
> >> in a country because we cannot ensure the safety of ALL
> >> participants.
> >>
> >> Just because you are not transgendered or transsexual yourself
> >> does not mean it is not your responsibility to ensure that people
> >> who wish to participate who ARE are not as safe as possible.
> >>

> > Bye bye my plans for a Wikimania in Bogotá.  There is a very small risk, but
> > certainly not null, that any people who want to participate would face
> > unsafety conditions.
> >
> > It was a nice idea, though.
> >

> It also means no more wikimania in the United States as it has the
> highest murder rate in the world ..... higher than Bogota ;)
>
> Waerth
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.