[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Ayelie ayelie.at.large at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:32:11 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07, Bryan Tong Minh <bryan.tongminh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/07, Waerth <waerth at asianet.co.th> wrote:
> > It also means no more wikimania in the United States as it has the
> > highest murder rate in the world ..... higher than Bogota ;)
> >
> That would make antartica a serious option ;) As far as I know, no
> murders last year on Antartica.

But in Antarctica there's always the chance of being attacked by wild
penguins, or having our lunch eaten by starving albatrosses. And you never
know when a seal may drag you off an ice floe into the frigid waters...

There are dangers everywhere, and if people think they will be in danger
they won't come. Those who are comfortable attending will attend. As many
people can't make it to the USA for distance reasons as people who won't
want to come to Egypt for safety reasons; no matter where we go some people
will lose out. This is a yearly thing - if people feel unsafe in Egypt this
year then they can wait until next year, and maybe it will be somewhere they
feel less in danger.

--
Ayelie
  ~Editor at Large