[Foundation-l] The Statistical Decline of the English Wikipedia

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 00:30:31 UTC 2007

I think that it is a normal process. Articles from popular culture
(and similar hot topic fields) are well described and people who are
working on them are not able to add any new information.

English Wikipedia reached something which may be called "a popular
limit". It is the final destiny of all Wikimedian projects except
Commons and Wikinews.

The question is: What after that? But, it is not so hard to find an
answer: Working on quality, references, merging knowledge from one
language to another, adding relevant informations using bots etc.

The problem which may raise is lack of enough educated people for
doing more complex operations with the content. It may lead into
decline of the community and impossibility to deal with vandals.

So, I think that the next step of WM aims should be community
education. But, this is one of the open questions of our community.
And I still don't see any organized project toward this goal.