[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 00:02:55 UTC 2007

> For the record, the biggest group of attendees to the Wikimania2007
> came from Taiwan. What is the speakers' concern is a different matter.
> We cannot force speakers to choose their topic. Or it will hurt our
> diversity. And one of purposes of the conference is to exchange the
> experience and thought - I have nothing wrong to hear about Enwiki
> experiences, while I am not terribly active on that. And there were
> also reports from other wikis: zhwiki, eswiki, dewiki or jawiki [=my
> BoF] ...
>
> --
> KIZU N
> Wikiquote <http://wikiquote.org> is a free online project for building
> collections of quotations, hosted by Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> Quote of the Day (English): http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

I think it would be interesting to hear about experiences from arwiki.  I
notice there are now ~42,000 articles.  I'm not sure how many users, and
where they come from. (e.g. how many are Arabic speakers residing in Europe,
North America ... , how many from Egypt and other places in the region).
That's a minuscule number of articles compared to the number of people that
speak the language.

I have edited a little bit there, but find the experience much different
(being a smaller wiki, as well as cultural differences).  I'm also very
curious to know how well is Wikipedia accepted, in terms of readership in
Egypt and other countries in the region.  I think it has potential, but what
issues are there.  It will be good to be able to discuss and learn, as well
as discuss issues relating to enwiki and other larger wikis.

-Aude