[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 19:56:15 UTC 2007

On 10/9/07, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com> wrote:

> phoebe ayers wrote:
>
> > As a jury member, I do not remember any comments from you on this
> > subject, David; perhaps I missed them. At any rate, what are you
> > trying to accomplish by sending this message after the winner was
> > announced, and not before when we were discussing the bids?
>
> Other people raised these objections during the bidding process; I
> didn't have to. Even if no one had brought the issue up, everyone on the
> voting team should have been aware enough of the problems to them under
> consideration without further prompting.

And they were considered, just not to your satisfaction.

I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Egypt's human rights record
> would cripple the bid enough that it wouldn't win.

There were no foregone conclusions; if there were, we wouldn't have had to
have the bidding process, now would we?

I *do* agree with you that we need to rethink weighting of the criteria, and
have some criteria weighted more strongly than others in future. However, I
do think the voting system is a great improvement on previous systems, and I
continue to reiterate that community feedback is welcome. For many attendees
I've talked to at the last three conferences, rotation was indeed by far the
biggest concern for them; however the jury also chose to consider a holistic
set of criteria.

Also please note I'm not speaking on behalf of the jury in any way, just
myself; I think we'd all agree that feedback is a good thing however.

-- phoebe