[Foundation-l] Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Mon Oct 8 05:14:44 UTC 2007

On 10/7/07, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> I agree some effort to pull in other people is worthwhile, but I agree
> with Jeandré that we ought not to come off as excessively PR-ish. I know
> I've stopped contributing to other nonprofits who've taken such a tone
> with their advertising (and organizational style generally), and would
> be turned off from contributing to Wikimedia were its communications to
> start looking like they came from an ad agency rather than from normal
> people.

Yes, you can do this right, and you can do it wrong. If we have a page
where people can post cool things about wikipedia/wikimedia, and
select some to highlight that will seem community centered and
organic.

If we take these stories, get images, and re-write them into some
combined campaign called "Wikipedia:Our Story" published on some shiny
new site, that would be a mistake.

The people donating $3 to wikipedia aren't the same people donating to
the MacArthur Foundation. Well, maybe some are, but not most.

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion