[Foundation-l] Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sun Oct 7 01:39:41 UTC 2007

On 10/6/07, Jeandré du Toit <jackdt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally don't like the point pushing that is marketing generally,
> and mawkish ads specifically; preferring neutral, factual information.
> Will this storytelling approach with symbolic media not put off the
> people who previously responded to the simple, marketese free "If you
> think Wikimedia's projects are worthwhile, please donate so we can buy
> infrastructure to keep it going."? Will storytelling bring in more
> donations, and if so what does it say about the NPOV educational
> information provided?

This is a very typical, and very wrong, attitude in non-profits. Andy
Goodman examines that point at length in his lecture, which is really
worth watching:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-289257716014946841

The gist of it is that the story does not _replace_ the factual
information. It provides a hook for getting people who _aren't_ part
of your world to start caring about it. And once they care, they
should find out all the factual information they want

If you only do storytelling and don't provide key facts & figures,
you're failing just as much as if you're only providing the facts &
figures, but no lead that makes people care about them.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik