[Foundation-l] Thank you for discussing my Top 25 Nonprofit LIst

Matthew Britton matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 3 21:38:06 UTC 2007

geni wrote:
> On 03/10/2007, Allan Benamer <abenamer at nonprofittechblog.org> wrote:
>> Hehe.. well, I just want monthly unique visitors.
>
> When it was said almost nothing was collected that wasn't a joke.

I'll try to clarify what geni is saying. The Wikimedia Foundation relies
exclusively on donations and has a very tight budget. It can only buy as
much hardware as it can afford, and can only just afford enough to keep
the sites running. (The toolserver had to be donated separately).

The resources just aren't available to completely log all site traffic -
it would require scripts to process the mess of data generated at a fast
enough pace to keep up without using up precious CPU time, and a whole
load of extra disk space to store this data.

It's not possible to just "release all log data", because it doesn't exist.

-Gurch