[Foundation-l] Thank you for discussing my Top 25 Nonprofit LIst

Matthew Britton matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 3 20:09:39 UTC 2007

Allan Benamer wrote:
> over at
> http://www.nonprofittechblog.org/philanthropy-and-nonprofit-top-25-list-october-2007
>
> I was wondering if Wikimedia could use the Quantcast Javascript tag so I
> would be able to track Wikimedia's URLs in real-time. If that's not possble,
> it would be great if the Foundation simply just released the web site
> statistics for all its URLs.
>
> It would be a great service for the nonprofit sector if this could be done
> as many nonprofit marketers are still trying to understand the effects of
> Web 2.0 on our sector and would love to have hard data.

Hmm. Add javascript to every one of our pages that calls up one of your
servers? I'm not sure that's workable. Wikimedia sites get twenty
thousand hits a second - could you even handle the traffic?

As far as I am aware, the Foundation doesn't even *have* the web site
statistics for all its URLs. There's so much data, it's just discarded,
although if I recall correctly, a few institutions have been sent
1-in-100 samples of log data or something like that. Perhaps an
arrangement like that would be more feasible.

Also, easy on the buzzwords. Wikipedia's success does not stem from
shiny Ajaxey features. Wikis predate Web 2.0 by some time.

-Gurch