[Foundation-l] Google Analytics test

SJ Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 18:11:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Bryan Tong Minh wrote:

> On 10/3/07, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> [wikicharts]
>>> Wow. You didn't know about that?
>>> We really need to solve these communications problems because it's
>>> utterly miserable that we've got people complaining that we need X
>>> when they aren't aware of the kinda-X that we already have. This seems
>>> to happen very frequently :(
>>
>> Wikicharts doesnt even have an option for en.wikibooks. We've asked
>> about this and gotten no reply from leon or anybody else involved with
>> this. That's part of my initial problem, that Wikibooks wants X and
>> doesnt have kinda-X either.
>
> Leon has been away for some time. Remember that almost everybody is a
> volunteer and volunteers generally take longer than paid people.

This last comment is a nonsequitur.  'Asking about this and not getting a
response' is a systemic communication problem, which can be fixed
regardless of who is directly working on a given project.

It is also untrue.  Volunteering and speed of response are also not
directly related; some of the most reliably responsive people, outpacing
official staff, are volunteers - in WP as elsewhere.

The commitment and reliability of volunteers varies with context, as
might be expected; the most committed people in the world are zealots
who, more often than not, are volunteers for their cause of choice.
And organizations dealing with daily life and death situations have
long relied on the courage, stamina, and dedication of volunteers.

SJ