[Foundation-l] Interesting non-profit ranking

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Oct 3 16:29:35 UTC 2007

On 10/3/07, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> While Wikipedia shouldn't be counted in such list (it looks like we
> came up to the position when news will be that we have more visitors
> then, for example, msn.com), it is interesting to see that
> wikimedia.org (after wikipedia.org) is at the second place and
> wiktionary.org at the 25th place :)

I was really surprised by how high wikimedia.org ranked.  Then I
looked at Alexa traffic details and realized why:

Where people go on Wikimedia.org:
upload.wikimedia.org - 73%
commons.wikimedia.org - 21%
meta.wikimedia.org - 3%
wikimedia.org - 1%
other websites - 2%

http://www.alexa.org/data/details/traffic_details?url=wikimedia.org

So 21% of wikimedia.org hits are for commons, and 73% are to
upload.wikimedia.org (for images, probably the vast majority being
inline Wikipedia images).