[Foundation-l] university blocking wikipedia

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 22:11:29 UTC 2007

dan harp wrote:
> just heard an odd thing from a peer @ the high school
> I work at.
>
> "Many major universities have blocked wikipedia"
>
> thought I would throw it out to the community and get
> a bit of direction to research - I find the
> possibility odd.

Ask them to cite their sources :-)
(for example, ask the person to provide names of universities
supposingly doing that)
Then, if the person reveals unable to provide any names, adopt a very
serious and dignified face, nod gravely, and says "urban legends are
terrible. I wish so much people would start using figures and citing
sources when they make a claim. We should ban sentences starting by
"many says that", or "some people consider that" or "Most people know
that"".

Ant