[Foundation-l] Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:54:31 UTC 2007

This is a great idea and another very articulated mail. ;-)

Two items that may be of interest to you:
* ComProj has been working on something like this for some time. <
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communication_Projects_Group/Success_stories_-_how_has_Wikimedia_changed_your_life%3F

* I also recall a discussion on the OTRS mailing list about using the good
comments we have received in e-mails for endeavors such as this (provided we
receive their permission first, of course).

I hope these ideas are of use to you (and hopefully, a starting point for
the writing portion). :-)  The Wiki-Love pictures from Flickr may also be of
use to you in this.

On 9/30/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Wikimedia's past fundraising campaigns have traditionally focused on
> one simple message: "We are growing fast, and we need your help to
> support our infrastructure." While enough funds were raised to support
> Wikimedia's survival, this message is unlikely to arouse emotion or
> passion among potential donors.
>
> Even the appeal to "imagine a world in which every human being can
> share in the sum of all knowledge" is, at its heart, factual and
> generic; it does not tell stories of individuals, or describe deep
> changes in people's lives. Such stories depend not just on facts, but
> also on poetic writing and carefully chosen photographs or videos. It
> is not enough for a potential donor to rationally understand that they
> are supporting an important website. They must be emotionally
> convinced that they have a moral obligation to contribute to a
> world-changing mission.
>
> Before one can tell stories, however, one must gather and write them.
> We can identify the following sources of stories that are relevant to
> fundraising efforts, ordered by the level of control the Foundation
> can exercise over the messaging:
> * Foundation-level programs
> * Chapter-level programs
> * Community experience
> * Outside experience
>
> The potential impact of new WMF and chapter programs on future
> fundraising initiatives should at least be taken into consideration
> during program planning. It makes sense to attempt to measure this, by
> rating ongoing programs according to their impact on fundraising.
>
> In addition to monitoring its own programs, the Foundation can reach
> out to community members and readers using many different means:
> * calling for readers to tell their stories through its website properties
> * targeting community members through mailing lists and online forums
> * specifically contacting donors through newsletters or one-time mailings
> * contacting organizers of local meetups (whether these are tied to a
> chapter or not)
> * indirectly reaching out to motivated and curious contributors
> through contests, events, and so on.
>
> Stories, once collected, need to be organized. The most interesting
> ones can then be developed by following up with individuals. In doing
> so, one should attempt to develop a story along a traditional
> narrative structure. In the most common storytelling pattern, a
> protagonist is introduced to the audience and must overcome challenges
> to reach a certain goal. Whenever possible, video, audio and pictures
> should be gathered to supplement the narrative. If no directly
> relevant media can be found, symbolic media can be used when correctly
> labeled.
>
> There are many resources providing detailed advice on storytelling for
> non-profits, but I specifically recommend this 45 minute video of a
> presentation by communications consultant Andy Goodman:

> [...]

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---