[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Nov 26 01:16:03 UTC 2007

Mike Godwin wrote:
> damaging to plaintiffs as well as to defendants.
>
> Let's boil this down to what the real argument is:
>
> 1) It would be wrong to relicense GFDL content on Wikipedia to a new
> GFDL that's like CC-BY-SA.
> 2) Allowing those who object to the content would do no good because
> it's impossible.
> 3) Therefore, people will sue us because they object to the new license.
> 4) What will they sue for?  Damages (unclear how to calculate those,
> since there's no market value or lost profit calculation that's
> obvious, and since the content isn't registered, which is a
> requirement for statutory damages), plus removal of the content.
>

> --Mike

BTW, who says that parts of Wikipedia haven't been registered with
national copyright registration agencies (like the Library of
Congress)?  I certainly wouldn't want to make that assumption up out of
whole cloth without checking first.  I know for a fact that some
Wikimedia content (Wikibooks to be specific) has been sent to national
registration bodies.  We also don't need to notify the WMF is such a
registration occurs.

And I think I could come up with a market value of some of this content
vs. its diminished value due to ignoring GFDL requirements.  That it
wouldn't be easy is true, but it is not wise to assume no value to this
content.

-- Robert Horning