[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Nov 23 17:44:53 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 23/11/2007, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
>

>> What has been suggested here by Mike and Andrew was
>> not a modification of the GFDL to an updated version, but suggesting
>> that some sort of community vote could happen here that would simply
>> ignore that the GFDL even exists, and simply replacing the default
>> license on all Wikimedia projects to something like CC-by-SA.
>>

> Chapter and verse please?
>

> - d.

Again, perhaps this is reaction to reaction here.  I know Mike was
talking originally talking about the discussions he was having with the
Free Software Foundation, but he drifted into other areas and talked
about how the "community" could have some sort of discussion or vote and
simply change the license... and waxed philosophically about how
switching licenses wasn't that big of a deal.  I agree.... under the
limited confines that it use the "or later version" clause of the GFDL.
But if that is the case, why the huge community discussion about moving
on to the next version of the GFDL?  And in this case, how is this any
different from when Wikipedia moved from GFDL v. 1.0 to v.1.2 that we
are using now?  Other than perhaps the switch to v 1.2 happened some
time ago and those involved in that decision aren't involved now.

Andrew explicitly was mentioning that most people could care less about
the actual license.  I was suggesting that while "most people" may not
care... I do.

-- Robert Horning