[Foundation-l] Putting the Foundation back in WMF

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Fri Nov 23 11:19:57 UTC 2007

I'd like to see the Foundation have a "security blanket" too. Although, the
way I see this is you're more likely to get support from developing
countries before you get it from the developed - in terms of a government
actually giving money.

I'm curious about what impact a project like Wikipedia has on a country's
economy. The database of information at your fingertips has to save a
fortune in research costs for companies all over the world, and from my
perspective I'd be delighted to see a portion of my taxes - no strings
attached - going to the Foundation.

If WMF can survive for another five or so years then the first kids who get
the OLPC XO machines will be seriously starting to contribute in their
native languages. I actually expect a far higher uptake of editing from
these groups than developed countries; also a lower level of vandalism,
because people who have very little value what they have. One of the first
things the OLPC pilot projects have done is introduce the students to wiki
technology. Why? It is the foundation of what the Internet was initially
meant to be - a two way process, information exchange. Uruguay has ordered
100,000 XO machines and plans to have one in the hands of every child within
3-4 years. If they achieve their goal then these kids will be better
connected than many in the developed world. They can't afford to donate, and
it isn't immediately obvious that WMF is helping them. Yet, even with 0.1%
of these kids becoming Wikimedians that's another 400 contributors in their
language.

I know I'm rambling here, but I think there's another fundraiser blog post
in "providing information to the developing world". People in the developing
world need practical information, and they can share it via wiki. Simple
things like the cheapest way to dig a reliable well, or how to efficiently
irrigate a crop are the things that interest them. Ways to incrementally
improve their standard of living because they learn something new.

This,
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Latest_trial_of_the_One_Laptop_Per_Child_running
_in_India%3B_Uruguay_orders_100%2C000_machines, is Wikinews' article on the
OLPC, with Uruguay's order for 100,000 not given a great deal of prominence.
I expect in 5 or so years Uruguay's economy will start to see the payoff
from investing in OLPC, and a significant percentage of the students who've
got the machines will rely on Wikipedia as well as contribute to it.

Projects like OLPC are going to be world-changing for some countries, and
the information available from sites like Wikipedia is going to be a part of
that.

Brian McNeil