[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Nov 23 00:27:15 UTC 2007

Mike Godwin wrote:
> I'm not advising anyone not to obey the law. As a lawyer for the
> Foundation, my job is partly to help the Foundation and the Projects
> achieve their primary purposes, and to suggest ways of doing so that
> don't create legal problems. I doubt anything I've suggested here will
> get anyone sent to jail or anyone sued.
Breaking or obeying the law has a lot to do with perceptions of what the
law is.  Many want certainty in the law, and want reassurances that they
will be safe.  Failing that they follow a better-safe-than-sorry
policy.  They have difficulty is accepting that there is much in the law
that is far from clear.

They imagine far-fetched circumstances where the law might apply, and
proceed to interpret those circumstances against themselves.  As though
to justify it all, they attach "IANAL" (Idiots Are Not All Lawyers) to
their comments.

Ec