[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Nov 22 18:23:44 UTC 2007

On Nov 22, 2007 8:14 AM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> >> Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that the set of contributors who both
> >> (a) insist on an old version of GFDL and (b) care about it enough to
> >> remove content if migration happens, and (c) wouldn't hear about the
> >> migration is a very, very, small set of contributors.
> >
> > It only takes one.
>
> It only takes one to do what, exactly?  To make a fuss?  We already
> have people who make fusses over all sorts of things. We generally try
> to accommodate complaints if they're reasonable.  But if someone meets
> criteria (a), (b), and (c) above, then, by definition, they wouldn't
> make a fuss (because of (c)).  If they learned about the migration
> later, why, then, we'd address their concerns and likely remove their
> content accordingly.

Well, let's take an example.  [[User:Alex756]]
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alex756) is a lawyer who would like
to revoke his contributions under the GFDL.  His contributions exceed
5000.  Surely there's a good chance he would take such an opportunity
to opt-out.  Imagine the work it'd take just to comply with that one
request.