[Foundation-l] GFDL and Relicensing

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 16:40:59 UTC 2007

On 22/11/2007, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:

> I'm not suggesting here that some significant improvements to the GFDL
> can't happen, but I can't even begin to imagine how Linus Torvalds (who
> is one who has been very vocal about some of the changes to the GPL...
> in part due to this issue) would react if the FSF went and simply
> declared that some version of the Creative Commons license suite was in
> fact "the next version of the GFDL".

It's entirely unclear how that's relevant even by analogy, given that
Torvalds' stuff is all GPLv2 and expressly not "or later."

> GPL/GFDL compatibility is from my perspective something far more
> important (and should be important to the FSF) than CC-by-SA/GFDL
> compatibility, but that is another issue entirely.  I certainly don't
> know how you could get GPL/CC-by-SA compatibility to work at all.

Have you read GPLv3? And how it achieves compatibility with the Apache
v2 licence and the AGPL.

I would be amazed if the FSF were as careless as you hypothesise them to be.

- d.