[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 22:53:50 UTC 2007

> On 21/11/2007, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You mean "the minority of contributors who believe their content
> > cannot be migrated in a way that is satisfactory to them *and find out
> > what we're doing*". I think you're mainly relying on people not
> > noticing, which doesn't seem very moral to me.
>

> They signed up for "or later." If they didn't mean that, they
> shouldn't have contributed. Really really.
>
> I don't know about other wikis, but on en:wp trying to repudiate your
> contributions or claim that they are declared not subject to the
> license you agree to contribute under each and every time you press
> "submit" tends to lead to a blocking to avoid further legal danger.

If that's the case, then there is no need for an opt-out. Mike is
suggesting that an opt-out is required, and I can't see anything that
would require an opt-out without requiring an opt-in. The issue with
"or later" clauses being invalid means we may well require some kind
of permission from contributors.