[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 17:48:07 UTC 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 6:35 PM, Tim 'avatar' Bartel
<wikipedia at computerkultur.org> wrote:
> Mike Godwin schrieb, am 21.11.2007 14:51:
> > I don't think the problem is quite as intractable as all that,
> > although I will grant it is a tricky problem. In my (possibly
> > misinformed) view, FSF is the custodian of the meaning and terms of
> > the GFDL, which allows for migration to later versions of GFDL, which
> > creates the possibility of an approved GFDL that is essentially an
> > equivalent to an updated CC-BY-SA license.  FSF is currently in dialog
> > with Creative Commons about harmonizing GFDL with CC-BY-SA.
>
> While this might be possible inside the US and other countries, it is
> most probably not possible inside Germany. Clauses like '...or later
> versions.' are invalid in German jurisdiction and only the rest of the
> license applies. IANAL.

Same in France. I believe the rationale is that you simply can't agree
to a contract you've never seen and I must say that I find it actually
makes sense.

<devil's advocate> What if the FSF decided that the next version of
the GFDL stipulates "As of now, all works under the GFDL are sole
propriety of the FSF"? What would be the recourse of the authors who
have agreed to "any later versions"?</devil's advocate>

Delphine
--
~notafish