[Foundation-l] Citizendium License (Was: [EWW] Edit Wikipedia Week)

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Wed Nov 21 11:30:23 UTC 2007

On 21/11/2007, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now you come along and say .. nah, NC is not an option we cannot even
> re-license our content. Were we to do that we might as well start a new
> project. Well actually, does this mean that you cannot license your content
> at all?

What I mean is that whilst people are *allowed* to license their
content however they wish, and that strictly speaking we would be
allowed to publish NC content, it just isn't practical for "Wikipedia
to use NC" - Wikipedia itself is doomed by inertia to remain GFDL. WMF
doesn't hold any of the rights and thus doesn't have the power to deem
things relicensed; you'd need the copyright holders to do that.

The nature of Wikipedia and our other projects (with however many
thousands of contributors, many anonymous, pseudonymous, or just plain
vanished) makes it almost impossible to even think about trying to get
each and every copyright holder to agree to such a relicensing.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk