[Foundation-l] [EWW] Edit Wikipedia Week

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Nov 20 18:01:02 UTC 2007

Damned by faint praise?

The initial posters are already done, and this is something that doesn't
involve serious amounts of time preparing for it. It would have been a
better mail to say, "This is the start. You just need a printer for this and
some time". Then you can outline more ambitious goals that there may be some
among the community can step up to. The more ambitious you are (eg TV
appearances) the less people are confident they can do it.

I would dearly love to see an EDIT week become a regular event, but we're on
a short timescale here. Only people who are lucky enough to be in the right
place right now will be able to get access to facilities like computer labs
to run workshops. Hence the cybercafé/Starbucks suggestion.

Yes, I expected more in the invitation to the project, but no I don't expect
people from the Foundation to be presenting things as a fait accompli. We
all have to strike some sort of balance in online communications, both in
the words we choose and in the way we interpret what others say. Be precise
in what you give, and forgiving in what you receive.

I've had a bad day anyway, probably shouldn't be writing on mailing lists.
Lost out on a nice contract today because the advertiser was not totally
honest... "We will accept people with DV clearance or people prepared to go
through the clearance process". Start date in <2 weeks, clearance process?
3-9 months. Technically an illegal advert.

Brian McNeil