[Foundation-l] [EWW] Edit Wikipedia Week

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:59:13 UTC 2007

On 20/11/2007, Christiano Moreschi <moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Look, the plain fact is that we don't want more people adding their own
> junk to the English Wikipedia. (...) So what's the solution?
>
> The solution we propose is to get more of the faex populi editing
> Wikipedia. Oh, please - this is so bad it's almost funny.  (...)
>
> At a time when Wikipedia's reputation in academia is in the shitter
> - and to most noble people of quality, this is what really hurts - we
> invite more of the village idiots into the online city? The horror, the
> horror!

I hate to break this to you, but Wikipedia is a project which
involves, on a pretty basic level, encouraging all-comers to edit.
This is the fundamental model. This is *what we do*.

It's not going to change, no matter how uncomfortable you get with it.
These are basic, fundamental, issues, and they're not going to change.
We're stuck with this model, for good or for ill, and trying to hide
it away and not talk about it isn't an option - because then we get
the worst of all worlds.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk