[Foundation-l] fundraising idea

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 14:36:28 UTC 2007

> Micropayments are a possible approach. In the UK, charities like to
> get people to subscribe to a monthly direct debit - £5/month is a lot
> easier to get out of people than a single lump of £60/year. I'm
> surprised this isn't common in the US.

That's not a bad idea. We should try and encourage regular donations
using direct debits rather than just trying to get one-off donations
during a fundraising drive (a drive has it's place, though - we should
have both). How easy is it to set up direct debits, especially
internationally? Would we need to have donations all going to local
chapters, or can you pay direct debits to foreign countries (without
enormous overhead)?