[Foundation-l] Fundraising totals as of Nov. 15, 2007 @ 12:20 PM (EST)

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Nov 17 16:25:06 UTC 2007

> > > Currency      Number of
> > > Contributions         Amount of
> > > Contributions
> > > in USD        Average
> > > in USD
> > > Total         22763   681,388.14      29.93
> > > AUD   479     13,694.51       28.59
> > > BGN   3       29.18   9.73
> > > CAD   712     22,477.91       31.57

> > > Click here to read more on our site
> > > <http://donate.wikimedia.org/en/forward/emailref/22>

Just for fun, I correlated these preliminary donation statistics
with the population and GDP for each country.  Of course, this is
very crude, since it equates donations in a currency with
donations coming from a particular country.  But anyway, this
allows me to roughly compare my own country (Sweden) with my
closest neighbors (Norway and Denmark).

Switzerland is a top ranking donor nation, with US$ 1588 per
million capita.  For every billion dollars of GDP in Switzerland,
45 dollars were donated to the Wikimedia Foundation.  However, the
Swiss franc might be an international currency used by more people
than live in the country.  And the same goes for the US dollars.
The Wikimedia Foundation has received US$ 31 for every billion
dollars of United States GDP.

Sweden and Norway donate 17/billion GDP, but Denmark only donates
12/billion.  This can probably be explained by the higher activity
on the Swedish and Norwegian language Wikipedias, whereas the
Danish language Wikipedia is lagging behind.

Finland has adopted the Euro currency, so tracing donations by
currency is not possible.  I don't know the GDP figure for the
Euro zone, but if I use the GDP of the entire European Union, this
becomes 10/billion. The true value should be between 10 and 20.
Britain donates 16/billion, so a little behind Sweden and Norway,
but clearly ahead of Denmark.  However, Canada and Australia
donate 19/billion.

You might think it is unfair to compare Poland to Scandinavia,
since they were behind the iron curtain until 1990 and still only
has half of the Scandinavian GDP per capita.  But the Polish
language Wikipedia is doing very well.  And still WMF only
receives 3/billion.  In contrast, the Czech donate 6/billion.
Hungarians only donate 1.7/billion.

So, trying to compare equals:

 * Denmark could do better, to catch up with Sweden and Norway.

 * Hungary and Poland could do better, to catch up with the Czech.

 * Britain could do better, to catch up with Canada and Australia.

And finally: All could do better. WMF is currently collecting
between 1 and 45 dollars for every *billion* dollars of GDP.

These are the numbers I used for this non-scientific comparison:

Currency; Population (million); GDP (billion US$)

USD	298.4	12980
EUR	320	14953
GBP	60.6	2375
CAD	33.1	1165