[Foundation-l] New parser in the works - please help

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 15:32:38 UTC 2007

On 17/11/2007, Platonides <Platonides at gmail.com> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
> > On 17/11/2007, Jon Harald Søby wrote:

> >> Err, WikiCreole <http://wikicreole.org/>? It's already been done. But
> >> according to Chunk and Christopher, the MediaWiki developers were not
> >> willing to adapt MediaWiki to WikiCreole....

> > No, that's a different wikitext grammar altogether. This is about
> > implementing a proper grammar that does MediaWiki wikitext. Something
> > we could swap in and the users would almost not notice. Hence the
> > request for odd-but-important bits that would look like quirks to
> > those who don't know the language that needs them.

> And WikiCreole is not easier to convert into a grammar than mediawiki's.

Yeah. This is about MediaWiki text, not WikiCreole.

Although if we can modularise the wikitext processing sufficiently
(and making it independent of the code will help that), then attaching
new grammar-processing modules will be much more feasible. But this is
getting off-topic for this list :-)

Anyway. What features of the present parser does your language rely on
that English doesn't? Please let us know!

- d.