[Foundation-l] Putting the Foundation back in WMF

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 22:16:28 UTC 2007

Hoi,
If you take last years money and had converted it to euros, the money would
be more valuable in dollar terms then the 4% interest that you indicate.
Also on euro you can get 4% interest. My point is not about the dollar or
the euro; when you spend when you get it, the difference is not that
relevant.  At this moment in time we are raising more money then in the
previous round from donations. We are still growing rapidly in many
projects. Wiktionary for instance is doing really well (check Alexa) :) and
it is not the only project that does really well. There are many untapped
possibilities for getting funding. It needs effort, it needs money to make
money

Last year some people made a lot of ugly noises during the fund drive. It
may be the reason why we do not have matching donations. I think it shows
how irresponsible this has been.

When we are going for the defensive measures you suggest, we will not have
enough money for our current budget. We will not be able to expand into
sourly needed capability. I do not know how to defend the defensive
financing that you propose.
Thanks,
    GerardM